Monday, June 10, 2013

When therapy doesn't work, you get creative

If you've stumbled upon my blog or if I've sent you the link, welcome!  You are under no obligation to do anything -- including reading or following my progress.

I've considered starting a blog for quite some time but never took the plunge. I couldn't decide what its focus would be nor was I convinced that I would stick with it. You see, I have issues. I struggle with depression. It zaps my energy and steals my motivation. I procrastinate. I have difficulty making decisions. I'm a perfectionist. When I tackle a task it's "all or nothing" and given my lack of motivation lately, it's been nothing that's getting done. I'm not a hoarder but clutter is an issue. I'm tired of it all and I need to make a change. I just don't know how.

That's where this blog comes in. I figure if I give myself challenges and deadlines - and do it publicly - I will rise to the occasion. I will be held accountable. And to be truly accountable one cannot be anonymous (although I will do my best to preserve the privacy of my family members). I am not looking for gold stars or public praise. I'm a grown woman who should be able to tackle a to-do list. I am just looking for a way to overcome my "stuck-ness" and boy! do I feel stuck! It hasn't been pleasant, for me or my family. I sincerely hope this blog helps to change that.

I will regularly post goals. They may be weekly or monthly, long-term or short-term, some I've avoided like the plague and others that are more fun. I will also post progress reports. That's where the accountability comes in. I'm sure I won't be 100% successful but neither are race horses, pro athletes, and top-notch surgeons. If I get some things done, progress will be made. I can't expect miracles, but I do strive for forward motion.


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your blog. It takes commitment to update regularly and by publishing your goals you're making yourself do what needs to be done according to how well you know yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I completely understand! I struggle with depression, procrastination, and something like borderline hoarding myself! I never thought of making my to-do list public but it would probably help me to get more of it done...I think you may just be on to something brilliant here!

    Best wishes,
    Aurelas (Follow me #12)

    ReplyDelete